Wednesday 24 June 2015

High Tops

Hi and welcome.  Today I have the privilege of being Guest Designer over at Color Throwdown.  My card was chosen last week as Featured Stamper and that means an invite to be GD.  No way was I going to say no to that!

Here's this week's challenge:



Aren't these such cool colors?  My mind immediately went to some NBUS I've had for a few months - the All-Star High Top die from MFT.  From there it was a short step to making a birthday card for my youngest son who turns 13 in a couple of weeks.



My son tends to be a bit obsessive about certain things - Apple products and Converse shoes take top spots in his obsessions, so this die was a no-brainer for me.

I started by cutting the shoes out of red, yellow and white cardstock then putting them together.  Putting all the little yellow circles on was a bit of a painful exercise but I'm so pleased with the finished product.  

The card base was sponged with Surf Blue ink over the Stripes stencil by MFT.  I die-cut the 13 from PTI's By the Numbers dies out of Surf Blue and black cardstock then stacked them together, slightly offsetting the black layer to make the numbers pop against the background.  I then went over the numbers with Glossy Accents, but clearly I didn't put enough on as it's not totally smooth.  But at least it doesn't have fingerprints in it.  Usually I'm so impatient, I touch it to check if it's dry - and it never is :)



Thanks so much to the DT for letting me guest this week.  Be sure to check out their cards - every week they produce the most wonderful cards!

I'm also entering this into this week's challenge at Friday Mashup to add a stencil.

Products used:

Ink:  Surf Blue (SSS)
Cardstock:  Schoolhouse Red, Lemon Chiffon, Surf Blue (SSS), white, black
Accessories:  All-Star High Top die (MFT), By the Numbers dies (PTI), Stripes Stencil (MFT)

Cheers
Karren

10 comments:

Hannelie said...

Awesome amazing and oh so perfect for your son. I LOVE this one... a lot Karren!

Kathyk said...

FAB make

KAthyk

Tenia Nelson said...

So so fun!!

Vickie Z said...

Those tennis are too fun!! Perfect card for a teen!

Monika/Buzsy said...

What a cool card Karren. Love the sneakers. That set is on my wish list! The colors look awesome.

Tammy Hershberger said...

Fantastic card, Karren! LOVE the layers on the numbers, and the yellow accents on the red sneakers look terrific! So glad to have you join us this week for the Color Throwdown.

Marika said...

Congrats, Karren!! This is a neat card for a teenaged boy! He will love it!!

Wanda Cullen said...

Karren, your sneakers are so perfect for a teenager! He will love this fun card! Happy to have you guesting with us this week!

Migdalia said...

Congrats Karen! Super DUPER cute!! I absolutely love this!!
Have a wonderful day,
Migdalia
Crafting With Creative M

Joan Ervin said...

Oh my, what a darling design!!! The little red sneakers are just as cute as they can be and I love the striped background!!!! We are so glad to have you as a guestie this week!!!