Sunday 28 April 2013

Set Sail

During the week I was playing around with some techniques and I tried the straw technique, where you basically blow re-inker around on glossy paper using a straw.  For my piece, I used this week's Splitcoaststampers color challenge, which was to use River Rock; Baja Breeze and Not Quite Navy.  It's hard to tell but there is some River Rock on this piece LOL.  To add a little something to the piece, I also used the Faux Mother of Pearl technique and scrunched some plastic wrap and dabbed on some Champagne Mist Shimmer Paint, which you can just see at the bottom left of the long panel.

I also used the sketch challenge at Freshly Made Sketches and the Just Add Ink challenge to Just Add a background.  I figure my straw technique pieces count as background.


Pretty much everything on this card is retired or about to be retired (except Basic Black cardstock)!  I pulled out Set Sail as I thought a nautical theme would work with the background pieces.  The card base is stamped with a really old background stamp called Old World Map.  The little anchor is from the Happy Whale clearlits die and I have to confess that the anchor was the only reason I bought the die.

The sailor's knot was tied after Googling how to do it because it's been years since I last tied this knot.  I used the long retired Rope Twine which really adds to the nautical theme (and to the bulkiness of the card)!

Apologies to Allisa the sketch designer, but I couldn't make the horizontal panel work, so I decided to leave it off.

Thanks for looking.


Products used (all Stampin' Up!):

Stamps:  Set Sail; Old World Map
Cardstock:  Glossy White; Basic Black; Not Quite Navy
Ink:  Black Stazon; Not Quite Navy
Accessories:  Champagne Mist Shimmer Paint; Rope Twine; Happy Whale Clearlit Die; Not Quite Navy, River Rock, Baja Breeze Re-Inkers

Cheers
Karren

11 comments:

Darnell said...

This blew me away, Karren! You learned how to do that knot from Mr. Google??? Dang, girl. You rock!!

Chris Dring said...

I second what Darnell above just typed! Holy crow! Your card is amazing and that knot is perfect!

Christine Blain said...

Fabulous, Karren .... must check out that technique (haven't heard of it before, but it sounds like fun!). Awesome knot, to finish off your great male card. Thanks for playing along with us at Just Add Ink this week!

Christine Blain said...

PS: Love your new blog header!!

Lauren said...

What a great idea to do the sailor knot on this card, and I love those blues. The background is definitely fun too!

Nikki Spencer said...

Love the Faux Mother of Pearl technique Karren and it really ties your card together beautifully! LOVE..that knot too, a very clever and effective embellishment. Thanks for joining us at Just Add Ink.

Cindy Hall said...

Wow! Great card! I love the different techniques that you used for this card. All of them work so well together. That knot is an awesome embellishment to "tie it all together"! Thanks for sharing with us at Freshly Made Sketches!

Anonymous said...

Oh my - what a fabulous knot!! I love it. I've heard about this technique before but not tried it. Lovely card. Chantell JAI

Allisa said...

Great card...........love the knot. I could see myself spending hours trying to get the knot right! Thanks for playing with us at Freshly Made Sketches!

Vicki Hodgman said...

Wow so much to look at on this card! Love it! The knot is brilliant and the little anchor. Background looks terrific. I bet the straw blowing was a bit messy. hehe. But want to give a try now.Vx

Narelle Farrugia said...

Karren - this technique gives a wonderful background effect! Fabulous man card and your knot is very cool - good on your for being able to get that knot looking so perfect! Thanks for joining us at Just Add Ink and Freshly Made Sketches this week! Have a great week!