Thursday 12 April 2012

Card for Anthea

I have got the week off from work this week, and someone very kindly sent me a text yesterday to let me know that one of our workmates has been selected as a para-equestrian at this year's Paralympics in London!  How exciting is that!

Anthea is a young woman who lost the use of her legs in an accident with her horse about 5 years ago. Rather than having that put her off horses, she has continued her riding and has been selected to represent New Zealand at the Paralympics.  Here's the announcement if you would like to read more http://www.nzequestrian.org.nz/Article.aspx?Mode=1&ID=1353&ESID=6084  (Anthea is the one in the second photo.)  I couldn't let this occasion pass without a card.

I used this week's Freshly Made Sketch challenge and an old Stampin' Up set called Bareback to make this card for Anthea.


I stamped the horse in brown Stazon and colored with inkpads and blender pen.  I then cut him out using oval nesties.  I went looking through my DSP stash for something with Cherry Cobbler in and was pleased to find this pattern from the Jolly Holiday DSP.  The rings are representative of the Olympic rings (in my mind, anyway LOL).  I really wanted to fit a Congratulations on here somewhere, but it just didn't look right, so I'll put that on the inside.

Here's the sketch challenge:


Products used (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):

Stamps:  Bareback
Cardstock:  Early Espresso; Cherry Cobbler; Jolly Holiday DSP; Watercolor Paper
Ink:  Brown Stazon; Early Espresso; Pink Pirouette (around the nose); Sahara Sand (shading)
Accessories:  Timeless Type Big Shot Alphabet; Cherry Cobbler Seam Binding Ribbon; Oval Nestabilities


5 comments:

Kathy @ Stamping Still said...

Great card Karren! I particularly love the way you've stamped and coloured the horse. I'm sure Anthea will love her card. Thanks for joining us at Freshly Made Sketches this week.

Cindy Hall said...

Really beautiful card and heartwarming story. Thanks for sharing! And thanks for joining us at Freshly Made Sketches this week!

Teresa Zuehls said...

Beautiful card and beautiful story. TFS and enjoy the weekend.

Tui Nathan said...

Fabulous card .... fabulous story! Love the image of the horse, you've colouredhim beautifully!
Thanks for joining us this week at Freshly Made Sketches!!!

Christine Blain said...

I love the story behind this card, and how personalised it is - just wonderful, Karren.